14 February, 2013

My Favourite Love Film

If you're looking for a story that's heart-breaking and beautiful,  and one that - thankfully - centers on a heroine over 70, you don't have to look much further than Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont.

The wonderful Rupert Friend (Ludovic) sings For All We Know for his substitute grandmother and soul friend, Mrs. Palfrey (Joan Plowright), and time stops while he sings.  There are tears in Joan's eyes that I'd wager are not just glycerine, and there are tears in the eyes of all of us old enough to know just what it means to treasure every moment we have with those we love.

Love is, after all, much more than romance, and though that is joyfully depicted in this film too, the tender moments between Mrs. Palfrey and Ludovic are really the reason to watch this sensitive film, or re-watch it at Valentine's.

And the cast of seasoned, funny, wonderful English actors. This film is dedicated "To our mothers and grandmothers" and all I can say is hallelujah and thanks.

Based on a novel by the English writer Elizabeth Taylor.

Biography here.

Ludovic sings to Mrs. Plowright :  For All We Know


2 comments:

  1. I saw this film a few years ago, and wrote a post about it too. I loved it, such a sweet, tender and sensitive film, that doesn't rely on typical clichés about love. I adored it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Hila. Adore is the right word.

    This is one of those films that creates a "hangover". I can't stop thinking about it and have begun to read what novels I can get of Elizabeth Taylor's.

    ReplyDelete