16 April, 2009

Married with the Heart:

The Music of Loudon Wainright III and Kate McGarrigle

Recently I've been listening to songs from this irreverent, funny, earthy, and sometimes just plain touching American singer and prolific songwriter. Since it's spring, it's time for a little housecleaning of taste, a little exploration, a little sharing. This man's songs touch all parts available for touching; his music ranges all over the gamut of human feeling and goes where most are afraid to. I just listened to his History album and found it very tasty. I'm offering one song from that which I especially like called Handful of Dust, but you could do a lot worse than listen to Loudon's complete oeuvre. The funny faces he performs with are a bonus and if you want to see them go to youtube and do a search. You'll find plenty of choice there, both for songs and faces.

A Handful Of Dust - Loudon Wainwright III


Coincidentally, Loudon was married to one of my favourite singer-songwriters of all time, Kate McGarrigle, who with her sister Anna, wrote the ascendant Heartbeats Accelerating album (Private Music 1990), maybe my favourite album of all time. French-Canadian influenced melodies, pure voices, musicianship of the first order, and lyrics that spring tender and true from two knowing hearts. One of my favourites from that album is the touching and sad I Eat Dinner about the end of love. Leonard Cohen wrote, "Dance me to the end of love". With Kate it's more of a sweet, sad, last waltz.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora VJ,
    What a talented family with a son and daughter adding to the mix as well. Not with out their own trials and tribulations. Loudon is an old favourite of mine VJ, going back to the late 70's and Red Guitar. I always thought Lullabye was, is, one of the finest love songs ever written, and in a way so is "Down Drinking at the Bar". What I also love about Loudon is that while so capable of writing these songs, he can also put himself out there by singing with his daughter Martha in a song "Father Daughter Dialogue", that the "man singing the songs ain't me". I admire that candor and honesty. Sometimes we fail to seperate the man from the artist.
    Kia ora for the links VJ, hope all is well. Kia kaha.
    Aroha,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest omniscent/omnipotent/omnipresent Ms. Moderator:

    Your taste in music and your descriptive prose are exceeded only by your undeniable adorability.

    Yours,

    Captive audience

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robb:

    I'll check out those songs. Thanks for the suggestions. I should have known you would like Loudon et al; you (we) have such good taste in music. :)

    All is, despite personal chaos, looking up. I actually feel a few years younger this spring. Finally. And that's all I'll say on that subject.

    Glad you had such a nice walk. Sad to hear that appeals are dragging it out even further. Keep your chin, and your guard up. We are with you all the way!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Captive Audience:

    Jeesh. It's about time. I've been waiting more than 2 years for someone to notice, and I've finally resorted to writing comments to myself. Well, better that than write fan letters to Barry Manilow, I guess. I'm somewhat confused but still, I often captivate myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete