20 January, 2009

Thomas Paine in The Rights of Man, (1791):

"When it can be said by any country in the world, my poor are happy, neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them, my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars, the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive, the rational world is my friend because I am the friend of happiness. When these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and government. Independence is my happiness, the world is my country and my religion is to do good."

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora VJ,
    Boy oh Boy, by those standards we have a long road ahead! But it is good to Hope and have Hope. Now it is time to get to work.
    Aroha,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good beginnings in America being made. I just watched Hilary Clinton's first speech to the State Department as Secretary of State.In it she specifically invited open discussion and free opinion giving, such a change from the Bushaucracy, and she ended with the same words "let's get to work".

    Take a look at "Pureland Mountain" blog for his thoughts on the new administration. He's an American expat living in Northern Japan with great writing and a fine mind. There's a link near the bottom of the page.

    :)

    ReplyDelete