05 March, 2007

Kanji Shopping List

Here's a simple food kanji list I made from 6810's post and a few kanji I looked up. If there are any mistakes, and there well might be, they are mine. Please leave a comment if you see anything needing correction of if you have any additions. I've made this in the form of a table. It's intended to be a list that you can print and put it in your pocket or bag to take with you to the store. There's a bit of room at the end to write in anything of your own. It may not be perfect, but at least it's a starting point for vegetarian shopping.

Another note; I was not able to upload the table as an image file. In fact, I had to cut and copy and some of the things shifted a bit.I had to take out the colour coding. If anyone knows how to upload tables to Blogger and can give me some instructions, I'd be grateful.

Food Ingredients Kanji

shio – salt

乳糖 ;

ラクトース–
nyuutou/lactose ; rakutoosu -
derived from milk

砂糖

satou - sugar

tamago - eggs

水飴

mizuame – glucose syrup

玉子

tamago - eggs

アミノ酸

aminosan /MSG/hydrolysed protein

たまご

tamago - eggs

鶏肉; チキン

toriniku; chikin – chicken

こんぶ

konbu – kelp, seaweed

チキンエキ

chikin ekisu – chicken extract

昆布

konbu - kelp, seaweed

牛肉

gyuuniku – beef

mame - beans

ビーフ エス

bifu ekisu – beef extract

小麦粉

komugiko – wheat

ポークエキス

pooku ekisu – pork extract

ライムギ粉

raimugiko – rye flour

豚肉

butaniku – pork/pigmeat

オオムギ

oomugi - barley

ハム

hamu – ham

大麦

oomugi - barley

ベーコン

bekon – bacon

オートミール

ootomiiru - oatmeal

sakana – fish

黄粉; 黄な 粉; きなこ

soy flour; kinako - toasted soy flour

; かつお

katsuo;katsuo dashi/ fish soup stock



海老 ; えび

ebi – shrimp



シュリンプ

shurimpu – shrimp (in katakana)



牛乳

gyuunyuu – milk



調製粉乳

chouseibunnyuu–modified milk

powder



脱脂乳

dasshinyuu/dasshifunnyuu – skim

milk powder



加糖粉乳

katoufunnyuu – sweetened milk

powder



全脂粉乳

zenshifunnyuu – whole milk powder



ホエイ

oei - whey (milk)



チーズ

chiizu – cheese




2 comments:

  1. I've been using dashi in my cooking instead of other vegetable stocks. I asked at the supermarket for shiitake and konbu dashi, which I thought wouldn't contain fish. But now that I look at the ingredients in detail, I see katsuo there too!

    Why do they have to put meat in everything? Even things that seem safe at the bakery often have ham hidden inside.

    I'm optimistic that a fishless version is on the market somewhere. I'll write again if I find such a brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why they put fish in almost everything, but guess it's because vegetarianism hasn't really caught on here yet like it has in other places, so awareness is very low.

    You can make your own dashi very easily. For konbu stock:
    Just soak 2 pieces konbu (wiped off with a damp cloth) 6x2 inches, or 15x5 cm in size in 3 cups of water overnight. Refrigerate in warm weather.

    For shitake stock:
    Soak 3-4 _dried_ shitake mushrooms in 3 cups cold water (covered with a drop lid) for half a day.

    I'm not sure of the flavour of these because I haven't made vegetarian miso soup yet, but they should be okay. You can combine the two together if you like.

    If you try them, please let me know how the stock is.
    :)

    ReplyDelete